Alcohol Tremors and Other Alcoholism Symptoms
Table of Contents
What Is Alcoholism?
Contact Profound Treatment to Learn More
Our team is standing by to discuss treatment options with you. Your call is completely confidential and no obligation is required.
Cause of Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
Potential Predictors of Alcohol Use Disorders
- Age: When someone begins drinking at an early age, especially during adolescence or as a teenager, it increases their risk of developing an alcohol use disorder in adulthood.
- Genetics: Research indicates genetic predisposition accounts for approximately 50% of one’s alcohol addiction risk. If you have a parent with an alcohol use disorder, you may also be at a greater risk for developing alcoholism in your lifetime.
- Environment: The remaining half of one’s alcohol addiction risk involves how genetic predisposition and environment (household, lifestyle, social circles, etc.) interact. Having other household members, friends, or significant others who drink heavily or regularly may increase your risk of alcoholism. For youth, much of this influence comes from parents or peers who drink.
The Four Stages of Alcoholism
Stage 1: Pre-Alcoholic Stage
Stage 2: Early-Stage Alcoholism
Stage 3: Middle Alcoholic Stage
Stage 4: End-Stage Alcoholism
Signs and Symptoms of Alcoholism
- Increasing isolation from friends and family
- Cravings for alcohol
- Drinking more often or in larger quantities than intended
- Disregarding responsibilities and obligations in favor of drinking
- Lying or being secretive about drinking
Physical Signs and Symptoms
- Alcohol tremors (including hand tremors and tremors in other extremities)
- Red or “glazed over” eyes
- Reduced energy levels
- Significant and rapid weight changes
- Lack of coordination (staggering, stumbling)
- A depressed or anxious mood that may present as aggressive behaviors
Long-Term Health Problems
- Liver disease (cirrhosis)
- Cardiovascular disease
- Brain damage
When Should You Be Concerned About Your Drinking?
Importance of Seeking Help
Get Help During Any Stage of Alcoholism at Profound Recovery
It is unnecessary to wait until alcohol addiction takes over your health and life to seek help. Professional treatment providers can help at any stage of alcoholism. At our Woodland Hills, California rehab center, treatment providers will use one or more evidence-based and holistic therapy models to help you address the root causes of addictive behaviors.
Begin Your Path to Sobriety
Without treatment, alcohol addiction is unlikely to resolve independently. Many people who try to quit drinking cold turkey fail when alcohol withdrawal symptoms become too challenging to manage without support. Let us help. Contact a member of our admissions team today to learn more about how you or a loved one can overcome alcoholism with Profound Recovery.