Wet Brain: Causes and Symptoms of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome
Table of Contents
What Is Wet Brain?
Contact Profound Treatment to Learn More
Our team is standing by to discuss treatment options with you. Your call is completely confidential and no obligation is required.
Wernicke Encephalopathy and Korsakoff Syndrome
Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome is the combination of Wernicke encephalopathy (a disorder causing altered mental state, ocular abnormalities, and lack of coordination) and Korsakoff syndrome (a neurological disorder causing memory loss; sometimes develops from Wernicke encephalopathy), both of which are caused by a lack of thiamine.
The Dangers of Wernicke Encephalopathy
Wernicke encephalopathy symptoms include:
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Vision changes
- Abnormal eye movements
- General confusion
- Muscle loss
- Issues with balance
- Difficulty walking
- Heart issues
- Drooping eyelid (ptosis)
- Eye muscle weakness or paralysis
The Dangers of Korsakoff Psychosis
Korsakoff psychosis symptoms include the following:
- Difficulty forming new memories
- Agitation and anger
- Hallucinations that may accompany alcohol withdrawal
- A lack of focus
- Unsteady gait
The Dangers of Memory Loss and Confusion
Leads to Other Mental Health Disorders
Memory loss and confusion lead to anxiety and depression and can even result in suicidal thoughts.
Engaging in Dangerous Behavior
Vulnerability to Fraud and Scams
A Personal Toll
Treating Wet Brain
Can You Reverse Wet Brain?
- IV fluids to promote rehydration
- Vitamin B1 tablets
- Alcohol use disorder treatment, such as detox and therapy
- Nutritional support
- Detox: Detox involves allowing the body to rid itself of unwanted substances. The patient will experience withdrawal symptoms as their body gets used to functioning without alcohol. The medical staff in a rehab facility will oversee the process to keep the patient as comfortable as possible.
- Therapy: After detox is complete, the patient will move on to therapy. Facilities will typically take a dual diagnosis approach that simultaneously treats the addiction and its underlying cause. A combination of science-based and alternative approaches may be integrated.
- Aftercare: After therapy is complete, aftercare is administered to ensure the patient has the support they need to maintain sobriety.
How Profound Treatment Can Help
Profound Treatment provides alcohol rehab that can stop wet brain before it starts. We are a premier Los Angeles drug and alcohol treatment center that offers an approach that sets us apart. We combine a variety of alternative and conventional therapies, ensuring a successful transition from addiction to sobriety.